FLSA Classification: Exempt
Reports To: Engineering Director, DCS
As part of the Engineering team, it is your responsibility to work with the Engineering, Program Management and Sales team to identify and analyze the customer’s controls needs. Taking those needs and transfer them into a successful system design, with a functional description of how the system should perform. The system should be a perfect match between the customer’s business needs and current technologies. On a pre-sales side, you will work with the Sales to develop the controls portion of our ongoing proposals. You will present this in a clear and understandable way to the customer to come up with the best competitive offer. You need to challenge the customer, the sales team and the internal organization. The projects are Parcel and Warehouse Distribution projects throughout North America and you will report to the Director of Engineering. Post-sales activities will be working with Engineering and Program Management to guide, monitor and potentially direct in the execution of a project design. This could result in site visits, design reviews or other investigation help. This is an overall technical resource role, affording DCS a Controls Engineering perspective on a variety of areas.
- Performs analysis of customers’ business requirements and develops solutions to meet or exceed customers’ needs with special attention to the controls requirements.
- Conducts or oversees the development of proposal documents
- Perform comprehensive technical and commercial review of customer controls specifications, drawings and needs.
- Understands customer’s operations thoroughly.
- Ensure system is designed to the intended level of functionality, durability and cost.
- Develops a wide range of concepts that meet or exceed the Design Criteria. Concepts may range from manual to fully automated solutions.
- Develop a detailed project specification based on the needs of the client.
- Develop system layout based on customer requirements and internal standards including base bids and alternates
- Develop detailed designs for an Automated Material Handling system based on the requirements of a performance specification
- Supervise and perform Layout Engineering responsibilities related to the development of an Automated Material Handling system
- Prepare Process diagrams, equipment manifest and specifications for contractor services and vendor equipment
- Assume role in proposal preparation, inclusive of planning and internal management. Proactive communication with prompt responsiveness is required
- Evaluates concepts and recommends the best solution. Skilled in using evaluation techniques ranging from simple “pro and con” comparisons to sophisticated Return on Investment (ROI) calculations.
- Perform / attend site reviews with clients to help further develop the optimal solution
- Prepare proposal file utilizing acquired pricing information, technical specifications and management input
- Stay abreast of current / future operating strategies and technologies by attending industry conferences, seminars, etc.
- Willingness to explain, teach or otherwise transfer knowledge to team members that may not be knowledgeable about system operations
- 4 year Degree in Industrial or Mechanical Engineering; or relative 10 years industry experience
- Minimum 3 years experience in the field of warehouse distribution automated material handling systems
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite
- Proficient in AutoCad Electrical
- Working knowledge of AutoCad Mechanical / Inventor
- Working knowledge of PLC and PC based programming
- Working knowledge of WCS and WMS applications
- Excellent oral communication and writing skills, being able to present ideas to vendors, associates, and customers.
- Willingness and ability to think creatively and stay current with industry trends, equipment and standards
- Ability to work effectively in team environment incorporating engineering, sales and management functions
- Exceptional organizational skills as required for proposal preparation process and finished deliverables.
- Ability to travel is domestically and internationally as needed by the organization